We are back with our weekly updates from our in house agony aunt ‘Aunty Fabulous’ and hear some of the questions she has been asked, it was a great to hear how, ‘Aunty Fabulous’ tackled these obstacles.
QUESTION: Running your own business can often mean you have to work all hours of the day, which can impact on your relationship and family. Especially with social media being the latest way to promote yourself, requiring you to work around the clock. This makes it feel like you never get to switch off and enjoy your family time with hubby and the kids. What advice would you give to balance working life and family?
Aunty Fabulous Says:
Time Management is absolutely key when running your own business and spending quality time with your family.
Take a step back and look at your day-to-day schedule.
Your relationship with your hubby and children is number one priority when it comes to having a happy home. Make time for them and yourself.
If you aren’t a full time working Mum it’s your choice to choose what your working hours are. STOP telling yourself you have to work non-stop. You don’t have a boss! You are the boss!
YOUR CHOICE, YOUR TIME!
By ignoring signs that your hubby wants to spend more time with you can lead to a breakdown in communication. Avoid letting it get to the stage where alarm bells start going off because he’s had enough.
All relationships need nurturing. It’s about give and take. If all you are doing is working twenty-four hours a day there will be no relationship if you don’t take care of it and each other.
Children need to feel you are there for them and not crave for your attention because you have your head buried in your phone, on the phone or on the computer all the time. Avoid getting to the stage where they are constantly playing up because they want you to notice them and spend more time with them.
Tell your family how much you love them and that you need to have time to work too. It doesn’t mean to say it is more important than them. Communication is key so they understand you need time to work and time with them. Mummy work time is different from Mummy playtime and quality time.
PLAN YOUR TIME WISELY
Social media may be time consuming but plan when you are going to do it rather than checking it every moment of the day and being a slave to your phone or computer.
AUNTY FABULOUS TIPS:
Write a few Tweets and Face Book messages in advance. Schedule when they will go out. You could put one out first thing, one at lunchtime, and one later in the afternoon. Avoid getting into the social media trap and take control of what you do rather than have it control you! If you have a work partner then share the tweets, instagram messages and other social media with them.
· Check out social media replies and tweats where you are mentioned. Reply once or twice a day only.
· Decide what time of day to reply to your emails. Perhaps once in the morning once your baby or children have gone to nursery or school and later in the day that does not interfere with your family time.
· Avoid late night computer syndrome! Turn your computer off at dinner time!
· If you have something urgent come up then deal with it and stop! Make it clear to work colleagues that you have a cut off time unless absolutely desperate!
· Spend quality time with your family in the week at breakfast and at your evening meal.
· If you have young children and can choose your own working hours make sure you are there to pick them up from nursery or school. Be there to make them lunch or tea. These precious moments can fly by in an instant. Don’t miss out.
· Plan a special outing with your partner and children on the weekend.
· Invite family and friends over or visit them
· Arrange nights out with your partner. Schedule it in your diary.
REMEMBER: PLANNING YOUR TIME FOR YOUR FAMILY AND BUSINESS AND BEING ORGANISED IS KEY TO A SUCCESSFUL WORK-LIFE BALANCE
If you have any further questions for our ‘Aunty Fabulous’ that you would like her to address please send them to – firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to book Aunty Fabulous either for One–To-One Coaching Sessions, Skype, phone or face-to-face consultations or even an afternoon/evening with Aunty Fabulous for your event please check out her services here http://www.auntyfabulous.com or don’t forget you can email email@example.com